What You Can Expect
OPM is a transformative program that helps you build a bridge from where you are today to where you want to be tomorrow. Immersed in a risk-free microcosm of the 21st-century business environment, you will collaborate with other business leaders and entrepreneurs who span countries and industries—from professional services and real estate development to finance, manufacturing, health care, and technology.
Focused on turning knowledge into action, OPM's unique structure eases the transition from your workplace to the HBS classroom—and from our campus back to your office. You'll return to your company with the entrepreneurial skills, mindset, and confidence to:
- Understand the key drivers of your business
- Position your company for long-term competitive advantage
- Capitalize on disruptive innovation and rapid change
- Drive growth through enhanced financing strategies
- Identify and exploit opportunities locally and internationally
- Build a rewarding and enduring network with OPM peers worldwide
The OPM Approach
Structured to minimize your time away from work and maximize your learning on campus, OPM is delivered in three units that span 24 months over three calendar years. Each intensive three-week unit dives deep into the essentials of building and running a successful business.
Through its valuable feedback loop, OPM empowers you to test new ideas, analyze the results, and evaluate options with your peers and the HBS faculty. Through self-assessment and one-on-one sessions, you will identify your learning objectives as a business owner, and balance them with your personal and professional goals.
Unit I (3 weeks): Analyzing and Pursuing Opportunities
- Expand your knowledge of key frameworks and approaches for analyzing your current business
- Identify opportunities as well as threats and develop a plan for addressing them
- Assess your leadership style and your organization's ability to implement your plan
Unit II (3 weeks): Leading Growth and Transformation
- Deepen your understanding of the analytical and leadership capabilities needed to drive profitable growth
- Identify ways to achieve transformational change in your business and industry, as you develop a plan for growth and profitability
- Assess the leadership, organizational, and governance capabilities needed during periods of profitability or expansion
Unit III (3 weeks): Planning Future Transitions
- Develop your business strategy going forward and a game plan for executing it
- Identify future business and personal transitions as well as strategic approaches for navigating them
- Balance your business objectives with your personal and professional goals
BETWEEN SESSIONS, you will focus on the practical application of OPM skills and lessons. As an important part of your OPM experience, you will apply what you have learned back at your company, addressing specific needs, testing new skills and insights, formulating questions, and assessing and improving your performance as a leader.