Your Course Of Study
Setting a Path for Sustainable Innovation
This program focuses on the important and potentially business-altering decisions facing company leaders as they determine whether to invest in core versus new or disruptive business models. By examining a wide range of real-world case studies that feature both disruptors and the disrupted, you will acquire frameworks for assessing your company's capabilities and rethinking your product, market, and strategy. Together with distinguished HBS faculty, you will examine and develop answers to critical questions, including:
- What does disruption really mean—and how does it work?
- How can you tell when a potential disruptor is going to be successful?
- Who is your ideal target customer, and how can selecting the wrong customers kill you?
- What's the hidden danger of core competence theory? How should you actually decide which activities to keep in-house, and which to outsource?
- What's the signal that an industry is about to commoditize, and how do you position to take advantage of that shift?
- How do you set strategy in a world that is changing so rapidly? What do you do when what you know is vastly outweighed by what you don't know?
- Whose investment capital will help you succeed, and whose money might poison your chances?
- Should you make acquisitions as a means of building capability? If so, should you integrate them, or keep them separate?
As a result of your intensive learning experience, you will discover how to:
- Adopt a strategic mindset
- Ground your thinking in predictive frameworks
- Align your organization around innovation initiatives
- Achieve differentiation, better margins, and avoid disruption
- Better articulate your strategic questions and goals
- Apply disruptive theories to complex problems and opportunities
"How Will You Measure Your Life"
At the conclusion of the program, Clay Christensen will discuss how to stimulate growth and innovation in your personal life. Drawing on lessons from his popular book, "How Will You Measure Your Life," he will share guidelines for finding meaning and happiness in life.
Facilitate Learning Across Your Organization
When you attend Disruptive Innovation, five of your colleagues can attend the related HBX online course: Disruptive Strategy with Clayton Christensen. With this shared base of knowledge, you and your colleagues will be equipped to tackle your organization's toughest challenges, develop new insights, and leverage a common framework to develop a strategic plan of action.