Advanced Management Program
Your Course of Study
At AMP, you will take a deep-dive into your personal leadership strengths and weaknesses. For seven intensive weeks, you will collaborate with a diverse group of global leaders and engage daily with the world-renowned HBS faculty. Highly structured yet deeply personalized, each module is augmented by one-on-one professional coaching sessions, a 360-degree leadership and personality assessment, and distinguished faculty and industry guest speakers. Designed to prompt deep introspection, AMP equips you with powerful insights about yourself and your leadership capabilities to help you bring about a full-scale transformation—at both the individual and organizational levels.
Measure, Analyze, and Drive Corporate Performance
AMP helps you to deepen your understanding of financial reporting, capital investment decision-making, and driving firm performance. You will:
- Evaluate financial statements and recognize important strengths and red flags
- Assess the reasonableness of a financial plan and your firm's financing needs
- Analyze the financial approaches used to evaluate capital investment decisions
- Explore the core principles of accrual accounting, cost accounting, and control systems
- Examine ratio analysis, activity-based costing, the balanced scorecard, and risk management
Lead in the Global Economy
AMP helps you to identify the regional trajectories of growth, development, and governmental strategies that are leading the world economy toward globalization. You will:
- Explore Asia's high growth, Latin America's recovery from the debt crisis, the African renaissance, Islamic resurgence, European integration, and the Japanese and U.S. descent into deficits and debt
- Analyze a country's economic performance, evaluate the social and political context, identify its key institutional strengths and weaknesses, and assess its government's strategy
- Examine national income accounting and balance of payments accounting, inflation and real interest rates, total factor productivity, fiscal and monetary policy, income distribution, and foreign direct investment
Develop a Compelling Strategy
AMP helps you to understand the most competitive forces in your industry, align business activities to build competitive advantage, and renew that advantage over time. You will:
- Learn how to set the direction of your business and craft its overarching strategy
- Evaluate the competitive forces that distinguish highly profitable industries
- Examine the relationship between the competitive strategy of a business and the corporate strategy of an enterprise
- Explore what it takes to make a multibusiness firm more than the sum of its parts
- Analyze one company's successes and failures, and consider what is required to lead a company over time
- Take strategic actions today that will position your firm for competitive advantage tomorrow
Build Competitive Advantage Through Operations
AMP helps you to derive extraordinary work from ordinary people by solving operational issues in quality, availability, and customer service. You will:
- Address current operational challenges and opportunities while anticipating future ones
- Examine the drivers of operational excellence and your role as a leader and general manager
- Understand customer needs in order to compete on service excellence and new product and service introduction
- Explore how managers can better explain their operations to investors and the investments they plan to make in them
- Transform operational capabilities into a sustainable competitive advantage for your firm
Lead Your Company and Your Career
AMP helps you to become a powerful leader who drives high performance by aligning cross-functional teams with organizational strategy. You will:
- Advance your personal leadership skills and accelerate your role in building and leading a high-performing organization
- Align the organization's culture, structure, systems, and people in order to effectively implement your corporate strategy
- Integrate the skills, talents, and resources of individuals and teams to achieve organizational goals
- Overcome inertial forces to mobilize and drive change across the organization
- Develop and communicate a vision for your organization and motivate people to fulfill it
Plan and Conduct Successful Negotiations
AMP helps you to become a more effective negotiator by improving your analytical and tactical skills as you test new ideas in a series of real-world simulations. You will:
- Design and execute agreements that create and sustain maximum value for all parties
- Achieve superior results in a wide array of competitive environments
- Resolve disputes and achieve superior outcomes even when others are emotional or irrational
- Think strategically in competitive contexts by anticipating the strategies of others
- Understand the vital role of ethics in negotiations when the parties' ethical standards vary dramatically
- Work effectively with people whose backgrounds, perspectives, and values differ from yours
Leverage the Power of Marketing
AMP helps you to address the challenges that general managers confront when dealing with the customer-facing functions of a firm. You will:
- Maximize marketing, sales, and service to create, communicate, and deliver customer and brand value in a global context
- Understand the importance of segmentation, targeting, and positioning in today's digital world
- Create value by engaging customers in the entire process—from product launch to product life cycle
- Develop effective marketing strategies by integrating new information and interactive technologies
Master the Essentials of Corporate Financial Management
AMP helps you to navigate the global financial system while creating, measuring, and managing value for your firm. You will:
- Examine an overview of financial markets, institutions, and instruments
- Delve into the frontier issues of the global financial system
- Understand your critical role in the valuation of your company
- Analyze the opportunities for adding value to your organization
- Evaluate the risks of your decisions in an uncertain and turbulent environment
A Unique Learning and Living Experience
The HBS living and learning environment is unlike any other:
- Ruth Mulan Chu Chao Center – The first building on campus to be named for a woman, this new facility serves both as a welcoming gateway for our participants and as a vibrant hub that connects the broader HBS community. Through the generosity of Dr. James Si-Cheng Chao and the Chao Family Foundations, the center is a tribute to the extraordinary life and legacy of the family matriarch, the late Ruth Mulan Chu Chao.
- Tata Hall – Located in the heart of the HBS campus is state-of-the-art Tata Hall, which was specifically designed to enrich the AMP experience. Made possible by a gift from AMP's alumnus, Ratan N. Tata (AMP 71, 1975), chairman of Tata Sons Ltd., this elegant, seven-story building offers panoramic views of the Charles River. Its carefully designed residential, classroom, and common spaces provide the ideal setting for living and learning.
- Diverse Living Groups – A living group consists of eight bedrooms—each with a private bath and personal computer/IPTV—that are organized suite style with a common living area to provide a small group learning experience inside a larger program. To help expand participants' global perspectives, HBS carefully selects living group members who represent a broad diversity of industries, geographic regions, and functional backgrounds.
- Cutting-Edge Classrooms – HBS classrooms are specially designed to facilitate participant engagement and enhance case method teaching. Each signature classroom is equipped with the latest technology to spark a dynamic exchange among a diverse group of global executives, HBS faculty, and industry guest speakers.
Knowledge That Transcends the Classroom
AMP amplifies the impact on both you and your sponsoring organization through a carefully designed set of program components that makes the learning highly personal, extremely relevant—and truly transformational.
- Access to Faculty – While every Executive Education program offers the opportunity to connect with members of the world-renowned HBS faculty, this dynamic interaction is a special aspect of AMP. As you progress through the program's curriculum, faculty members will challenge your thinking and provide different perspectives.
- Hallmark Case Study Method – Pioneered by HBS, the case method engages you in a highly stimulating, collaborative process of identifying relevant issues and applying practical business lessons to your own situation and organization. You will benefit from an added dimension that no other business school can offer—the opportunity to interact with the faculty who wrote the cases and have firsthand insights into the protagonists and the outcomes. AMP also includes inspiring sessions with many of the renowned CEOs featured in the case studies, who share how they overcame global challenges.
- Research Assistance – During AMP, you will have exclusive access to research specialists from the Baker Library/Bloomberg Center, the world's largest business archives. They also will help you take full advantage of the vast library collections, uncover the research best suited to your needs, and maximize your time during the program.
- 360-Degree Evaluations and Professional Coaches – At AMP, you will delve into your personal leadership strengths and weaknesses. During the first and third weeks, you and your peers will meet with your professional coach to accelerate the living group process. You also will individually engage in two one-on-one coaching sessions. The first entails a 360-degree leadership and personality assessment at the start of AMP, and the second takes place near the end of the program to help you determine what you will do differently back at your organization.
- Elective Sessions – AMP allows you to dig deeply into focused topics that are important to you and your company. Topics may include corporate governance, entrepreneurship, strategic marketing, and social media.
- Personal Development Series – AMP is a holistic program designed to accelerate both your personal and professional growth. Through a series of inspirational seminars that foster deep self-reflection, you will rethink, redefine, and reinvigorate your individual leadership approach.
- Powerful Lineup of Faculty and Industry Guest Speakers – HBS thought leaders have enduring relationships with some of the world's most successful business leaders. Many of those executives who speak at AMP are the actual case protagonists who provide firsthand insights into how they overcame corporate challenges.
Tangible Results. Enduring Network.
By the end of AMP, you will be ready to assume the complex role of senior leadership. Collectively, these topics build a comprehensive and in-depth framework of what it takes to succeed as a leader. AMP is designed to improve your ability to manage a global organization by setting the right strategies in place, securing appropriate financing, and outperforming the competition.
Equipped with the knowledge and skills to align your organization's strategies and processes, you will be empowered to drive short-range and long-term performance. With increased confidence and vision, as well as a clearer understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, you will emerge as a strong global leader who can navigate strategically across every business domain.
Specifically, you will:
- Deepen your understanding of financial reporting, capital investment decision-making, and driving performance
- Identify regional trajectories of growth, development, and governmental strategies that impact the world economy
- Set the direction of your business and develop an overarching corporate strategy for competing over time
- Analyze the competitive forces in your industry and align business activities to build and renew competitive advantage
- Accelerate your leadership role by effectively aligning cross-functional teams with organizational strategy
- Improve your analytical and decision-making skills to negotiate more successfully and achieve better outcomes
- Navigate the global financial system while analyzing and capturing opportunities to add value to your organization
Alumni Status and Opportunities for Lifelong Learning
After completing AMP, you will become a lifetime member of the HBS alumni network—an elite group of business leaders who span the globe. The AMP alumni website keeps you connected with your peers worldwide via webinars, renewal programs, and AMP reunions. You'll also have exclusive access to a wide array of support tools, resources, and videos of executive guest speakers.
HBS Thought Leadership
Several sessions draw on the general management expertise of the core AMP faculty and other distinguished HBS faculty members, such as Clayton M. Christensen, Srikant M. Datar, Thomas J. DeLong, William W. George, Rebecca M. Henderson, and David B. Yoffie. You also will have the unique opportunity to learn firsthand from some of the industry's most influential and innovative thinkers.
Another memorable feature of AMP centers on the inspiring sessions with renowned CEOs. Through these sessions, you will deepen your understanding of how the world's top executives have overcome critical challenges and are leading their companies to greater success.
Fitness and Wellness Offerings
During AMP, you are encouraged to focus on your personal wellness. Enjoy the private fitness center at Shad Hall, which includes an indoor walking/jogging track; basketball courts; racquetball and squash courts; outdoor tennis courts; table tennis; aerobics studios; extensive fitness equipment; and fully equipped locker rooms, complete with whirlpool, steam, and sauna. Take advantage of fitness classes, including yoga, Pilates, spin, cycling, and strength training, and work with personal trainers and nutritionists to develop a personal fitness plan. For outdoor exercise, the adjacent Charles River provides scenic miles of walking, bicycling, and rowing.
A three-day break is scheduled midway through the program. During this interlude, family members are invited to campus to participate in an optional two-day, on-campus program that includes special class sessions, social gatherings, and children’s activities. Alternatively, you can use the time to travel home or explore New England.