Audit Committees in a New Era of Governance
Your Course of Study
Designed for audit committee members, this leadership program uses a blend of case studies, group discussions, and faculty lectures on best practices. Participants will learn how to excel not only in the core responsibilities of audit committees, but also in new and emerging areas of risk management. The decision-oriented curriculum for audit committee training engages board members and chief financial officers in exploring four critical areas of relevance to audit committees:
Strategy and Financial Reporting
- What are the drivers of success and risk in the company, and how are these reflected in its financial reporting?
- How should audit committees provide oversight of financial reporting and risk management?
- How can the company best manage its key financial reporting risks?
Transparency and Investor Communication
- How can audit committees ensure that the company is meeting investor expectations for improved transparency in financial reporting and disclosure?
- What role, if any, should audit committees play in the investor relations process?
- How should you assess the costs and benefits of providing non-GAAP disclosures and what form should the non-GAAP disclosures take?
- How should the financial reporting strategy balance short-term performance pressure versus achieving long-term objectives?
- How can audit committees create an appropriate risk management infrastructure in the company?
- What are the risk culture and the tone at the top of the company, and how do they affect corporate performance?
- How can audit committees move beyond a compliance mentality to engage in effective risk management?
- How can audit committees better manage their relationships with directors, corporate management, and internal and external auditors?
- How should companies manage their cybersecurity risk and how should boards monitor this?
- How can companies use strong internal controls to promote rather than hamper growth?
- How can audit committees measure their performance in the areas of ethics and compliance?
- How can audit committees maximize the effectiveness of internal auditing?
Audit Committee Processes
- How can audit committees better manage their relationships with corporate management and internal and external auditors?
- What can audit committee do to help improve audit quality?
- How can audit committees ensure effective talent management and succession planning in the finance, accounting, and risk management function?
- How can audit committees be designed to manage increasing demands and also fulfill their core responsibilities?