GMP: A High-Return Investment
Going far beyond basic skills, theories, and frameworks, the General Management Program conveys and instills the reality and practice of general management. You will return to your organization with the analytical skills needed to identify, frame, and solve complex business problems; the confidence to make important business decisions in an uncertain and rapidly changing environment; and the leadership skills needed to drive fundamental change in your organization.
How is this accomplished?
- GMP builds on Harvard Business School's six decades of experience in designing and running outstanding leadership programs for senior executives. It offers a large, diverse, and challenging peer group, with constant feedback from unbiased, noncompetitive peers. The third-party, noncorporate setting allows you to take risks, experiment freely, and escape the confines of your daily working life.
- The full-time, world-class HBS faculty provide an unparalleled educational experience. Faculty members work closely with you during the program—which in many cases, creates bonds that last for years.
- The five-part GMP learning experience moves you from your current knowledge and skill base to a broadly expanded one, enabling you to examine challenges from new perspective and consider a new realm of potential strategies.
- You will create strong and durable professional networks that provide enduring benefits to both you and your sponsoring organization.
- GMP combines the large-group learning of the classroom with small-group learning, creating an incomparable leadership development experience.
- The small living groups—assembled to include a range of experiences and talents—provide a unique context for personal feedback and professional development. Within these groups, you and your peers will act as mentors, coaches, advisers, teachers, and students. In this collaborative environment, you will both give and receive constructive criticism and honest feedback.
- The length of the program is critically important: Effective learning groups grow out of cohesion and trust, which only can be achieved through a sustained immersion in the learning environment, away from the routines and pressures of the workplace. While shorter programs can offer skill building, they cannot provide the personal transformation that occurs in GMP.
"GMP is a transformational program. You learn many concepts and frameworks, but the most valuable part is the rich and intense exchange with colleagues and faculty. My company had an immediate return on their GMP investment, because I was able to apply and implement the strategy exercise back at work."
Juliano Ohta [Marketing and Purchasing Director], Saint-Gobain Distribution Brazil, Brazil