Your Course of Study
This program has one goal in mind—to equip you with strategies for creating a talent management system that improves enterprise performance. New HBS research on talent development, along with fresh insights into best practices and innovations, will help you enhance every aspect of talent recruitment and retention.
The comprehensive curriculum includes faculty presentations, case studies, and panel discussions designed to help you empower star performers to achieve ambitious business goals. You will return to your company ready to implement a plan that improves your talent management system and your effectiveness as a leader.
Creating a Focus: Personalized Learning Exercises
Through preprogram surveys, you will identify the strengths and weaknesses of your talent management system, measure your company's performance against other global companies, and create a focus for your acquisition of knowledge throughout the week.
The first survey examines the practices that set the stage for strong long-term business performance and illuminates the gaps between the organization's talent management challenges and its ability to respond to these issues. Faculty members use the data from this survey to address some key areas of concern for program participants.
Using the survey data, you will focus on how your organization executes more than 35 talent management practices and how its strategic approach impacts business performance. You also will enlist 10 executives within your company to complete the same comprehensive survey. Faculty members will compile the results and present you with a custom report, which will help you to identify the performance issues that require attention from your senior management team and to develop an action plan for improving your talent management practices.
Talent Management Best Practices
Through case studies, classroom discussions, and assessment tools, you will examine strategies that can help you transform your approach to talent management. Topics include:
Managing Global Teams
- Creating a culture that builds talent throughout a global organization
- Establishing talent development processes that align with company strategy and reflect best practices
- Formulating innovative communication strategies to ensure positive working relationships among members of small work groups or large global teams
- Developing a global perspective in promising leaders
Motivating and Rewarding Performance
- Aligning incentives and rewards with your core business strategy
- Recognizing new talent through better incentive strategies
- Understanding and motivating your star performers
- Applying new approaches to performance evaluation, compensation, and noncompensation rewards
Embracing and Managing a Diverse Workforce
- Creating a positive work environment that maximizes the value of everyone's contribution
- Implementing a well-articulated and widely accepted diversity strategy, including innovative approaches to recruiting and retaining minorities
- Aligning management practices to support and benefit from diversity in your workforce
Hiring in Good and Bad Times
- Implementing a robust, ongoing hiring process that helps your company anticipate future leadership needs, identify the competencies required, and nurture a sufficient candidate pool
- Integrating newcomers into your organization in ways that maximize their ability to perform and succeed
Developing Leaders, Structuring Organizations, and Driving Change
- Leveraging your organization's human capital by ensuring that the most strategic positions are occupied by strong performers
- Creating a pool of talent that will best serve your company's future leadership needs
- Creating programs to develop and retain high-potential individuals
- Managing the complexities of reorganizations, mergers, and downsizing as part of your strategic hiring process
"Whether an individual has expertise in managing the talent war, retaining employees, developing organizational capacity, evaluating performance, building on diversity, complying with the global code of conducts, or aligning rather than integrating corporate goals with individuals, this course will provide valuable direction not only for the participant, but also for the company represented."
Sara Qazi [Policies Procedures Job Evaluation Analyst], Emirates Steel Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates